tirsdag 21. september 2010

Monday 20th of September

S&P futures gapped 4.25 points higher at the open and made a move lower initially before total take off as buy stops were triggered on the break above the Friday high at 1126.75. Traded up to a high of 1140.25 before closing 1136.50.
I am a bit uncertain on this break higher as the volume on the break was very low, which appears to be mostly stops getting triggered and not fresh buying.
If we have no fresh buying this move will not extend.
We also have heavy resistance from 1144 up to 1163, which is a tough task ahead.
S&P futures is now in the upper part of the range seen since May.
Will be interesting to see what this week brings.
I have the feeling that we will most likely see a substantial move in either direction off the current level, just not sure which direction yet.
I would be more comfortable of a break higher if we had seen a dip first lower then this break higher, but the direct break higher with a basically a straight line move higher since 31st of August of 106 points from low to high is a bit too quick and risk a fair amount of selling coming in.
Trading wise I was a bit too conservative to the long side and made "only" 5.50 points on the day trading both long and short. As the move was 16.75 higher it was not enough to offset the move in the short calls I have from 1120 and up, so I had to make a bunch of adjustments that positions me quite well for a move in both direction from here.
I bot back 1120 calls for October when it broke 1130 on ES and instead sold 1140's to get more "theta" and remove some long delta.
I took profit on the 1060 puts as these got down to 5 point and figured it was no point keeping the risk on that they come into play on a quick down move where the volatility would increase quite a lot as well, making these 1060 puts rise in value quickly. I did the same with the 1100 short puts for 30th of September, closed them for a decent profit.
I instead sold some 1100 for October to increase the premium and did a very small 1080 short put for November, just to have as hedge the 1170's short calls that I sold a bit more of Monday.
I also turned the 1130's calls into a short straddle selling the 1130 put for October to have a bit more balanced Delta in the portfolio, was getting a touch too much short on the call side.
I want to see more volume to the upside and break above 1145 to really get excited on the long side for the moment.

Make sure to watch Monday's Mr Topstep, very interesting:
http://mrtopstep.com/2010/09/20/market-wizards/

That is all for today. Best of luck, take care.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar