fredag 1. oktober 2010

Thursday 30th of September

The S&P emini futures broke above the key 1150 resistance level right at the start of the floor trading session and failed at 1153.50 where we saw a lot of volume coming in. It traded more than 122k contracts on the 5min break out bar and also did 573 contracts the first hour. All that volume was selling of course and late longs got sucked into the market and short got stopped out, then the market reversed lower and we did drop 21.25 points in 2 hours after the break and made a low at 1131.25 and then traded more or less sideways for the rest of the day.
A note that I saw when looking over the 60min chart is that the reversals this week all was made when we had more than 500k contracts traded on the ES on the hourly bar.
Link to chart image here: http://chart.ly/o56eppa
One thing I want to say on the selloff Thursday is that the price action and volume towards the close was not that bearish actually. If it was really bearish we should have seen strong selling towards the close and break below 1127 in my opinion.
We now have 2 major areas to watch, 2 levels we saw those two major reversals of this week, which are; the 1153.50 to the upside and 1127.50 to the downside. Keep those levels in mind going forward?
Trading wise I was forced to buy the break to protect the short calls I have on and I was a bit slow to close the long, so in the futures I lost 6 points.
However since I was less long then my negative delta when the market dropped the day turned out quite well in the end. Made 1.17% on the day all in.
Options wise I did the following trades:
I bot back the 1100's puts for October at 5.75 points, was quite cheap and no point risking that option coming back into play if this move higher reverses.
I really don't want to leave very low value out of the money options open as they can hit me if we see a big move. I rather buy them back and sell another strike with much higher premium closer to the market price.
I also bot back some 1140 calls for October on the break higher to reduce my negative delta and instead sold 1150 and 1160 for October when the move started to fail. I did also sell calls at 1180 for Nov, getting around 18.50 to 19 for those.
When we trade back below 1135 I also added some 1080 puts for November for 18 points, so balance the negative delta a bit.
I still think we have a good chance at going lower before we break above 1160, but we need to close below 1127 next few sessions to go lower. Simply put one can say that above 1127 the bias is bullish.
today's Mr Topstep: http://mrtopstep.com/2010/09/30/ffffade-away-day/
That is all for today, have a great day, take care

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar